5 Insane (But True) Things About Dental Implants
1. You can get dental implants at any age. As long as your mouth is healthy, and your teeth are no longer growing, implants are possible. Ultimately, your dentist will determine if you’re an ideal candidate.
2. Au revoir cavities! Most people are curious if their implants are susceptible to decay, the answer is, no. Implants are made out of metallic and ceramic materials that are compatible with our bodies; they won’t erode like our natural teeth.
3. Dental implants date back to 600 A.D. Archeologists, in 1931, were excavating a site in Honduras and discovered the skull of a Mayan woman whose teeth were carved from seashells, sounds fancy.
4. Take a bite into anything! The average human has a bite force of over 100 pounds per square inch; 50 pounds per square inch for those who wear dentures. Dental implant beneficiaries, 200 pounds per square inch! How about them chomps?
5. According to the, American Academy of Implant Dentistry, 30 million Americans are running around without teeth in one or both jaws. With that being said, only 3 million, or 10% of those people are getting dental implants. However, that number is growing by 500,000 each year.