Regular toothpaste is loaded with ingredients that are harmful to our bodies. Slowly Americans are pulling away from commercial products that are full of fillers and toxins to preserve their overall health, toothpaste is one of them.
Here are 5 ingredients to sound the alarm on
1. Fluoride, used to strengthen enamel and fight cavities can cause a lot of problems. Fluoride is toxic in high doses. Most of us have fluoride in our water supply, which is more than enough, even for the average child. Adults certainly have no reason to have fluoride in their toothpaste.
2. Sodium Laurel Sulfate creates the suds you see when brushing your teeth. However, it is also a skin irritant causing users to be left with obnoxious canker sores.
3. Saccharin is used to sweeten many toothpastes and mouthwashes. It has been shown to cause kidney cancer in lab rats and is rarely used as a sweetener in foods today because of this.
4. Triclosan, a pesticide found in many types of toothpaste, is a chemical used for its antibacterial properties. The problem is, the formulation of the ingredient is similar to most toxic chemicals on earth. That cannot be safe.
5. Hydrated silica, a whitener that damages tooth enamel, is primarily used as an abrasive in toothpaste, made from a crystallized compound found in quartz, sand, and flint. Scratching the surface of the tooth with an abrasive such as hydrated silica harms the enamel and prevents re-mineralization, much like using sand to clean glass. Severe wear could eventually occur causing bacteria to creep down in the exposed cracks of your teeth.